Solution for Thinkpad X220 brightness controls disabled after resume from sleep / hibernate

I have noticed on my new Thinkpad X220 that the on-screen brightness controls sometimes stop working after resume from sleep / hibernate. In other words, after coming out of hibernate, the Fn-Home and Fn-End buttons to increase/decrease screen brightness do nothing. I am running Windows 7, but some Google searches reveal the same problem exists on Linux. And yes, I have all the latest driver versions including BIOS and video drivers.

The Lenovo forum suggests excluding a utility program from your virus scanner. I tried that, but no luck.

However, the following work-around solved the problem for me:

It seems like issue is only happens when "Lid close action" is set to "nothing" in the global options of the Power Manager utility. If "Lid close action" is set to "sleep", system wakes up when I open lid without pressing power button and brightness buttons work correctly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Todd,
I have the same issue with my ThinkPad X220 and was happy for your workaround.

But unfortunately do not work your solution for me - same issue again.

Do you have another idea to solve the issue?


Thanks for your help,
Alexander

P.s. One question, do you use the default preinstalled OS from Lenovo or a new clean installation?

Anonymous said...

it worked! nice :)